Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry

Making a stir fry is one of my favorite "clean out the fridge" meals. Along with omelets, it is a great way to use up veggies right before they are going to go bad.
However, this was not the case for tonight. Shrimp & veggie stir fry is a great, healthy meal with a ton of protein and delicious flavor. Any protein can replace the shrimp, and just about most veggies would be great in this dish- I just used the ones I had. I serve mine over brown basmati rice, but white rice and noodles work just as well! Stir fry is one of the most versatile meals, and so easy to make!


Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry
1 serving

- 1/4 cup brown basmati rice
- 1.5 cups chopped veggies
  *I used: 1 stalk celery, 1 carrot, about 6 brussels sprouts, 1/4 green pepper, 1/2 mushrooms, 1/4 small red onion
  *Other great veggies for stir fry: broccoli, asparagus, red bell pepper, chickpeas (if the stir fry is going to be vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or rice wine, if you have it)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- A couple dashes hot sauce  *I use Srichacha
- Pinch red pepper flakes
  *When I have it, about 2 tbsp of orange juice is a great substitute to the vegetable oil, and adds great flavor


1. Cook rice according to package. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, hot sauce, red pepper flakes. Set aside sauce.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté veggies for about 7 minutes, or until softened. At the same time, spread the shrimp on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook shrimp for 5 minutes (not fully cooked).
3. Add the shrimp to the veggies. Pour sauce over the mixture and cook together for 2 more minutes, or until the shrimp are fully cooked.
4. Serve the shrimp & veggies over the rice. Garnish with some chopped parsley (if desired).

Any protein, veggie, and carb combination can create this healthy and amazing meal. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe because this is my favorite since I taste this. I hope that I can cook it perfect with my Recipe for Stir Fry Sauce.

    ReplyDelete