Thursday, September 1, 2011

Easy Fajita Salad

I'm calling this a salad because I did not roll up the fajita mixture into a tortilla. Instead, I added some more veggies and served it over brown rice. It was my attempt at making my own Chipotle order at home- and it was successful! I prepared a big batch of this dish, and the leftovers were a very nice treat at lunch in the middle of a busy school day.

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup brown basmati rice
-1/4 lb chicken breast tenderloins or breast (about 2 or 3 tenderloins, one breast) cut into big pieces
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 yellow onion, cut vertically into strips
-1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
-Can of pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
-1/2 cup frozen corn
-Packet fajita seasoning (I used about half of it)
-1/3 cup chicken broth

1. Prepare rice according to package. *Brown rice takes much longer to cook compared to white rice, so plan accordingly!
2. Cook chicken in olive oil in a big saucepan. When chicken is brown, add onion and peppers. Once veggies are cooked down (about 4 minutes) and chicken is no longer pink, add chicken broth and fajita seasoning. After about a minute, add beans and corn and cook until both are warmed through.  *I am a nervous wreck about uncooked meat, so I always cut into the biggest piece of chicken to check its doneness.
3. Put half of the rice in a bowl, top with half of the fajita mixture. Serve with any toppings you like. *I had salsa, but any cheese or sour cream or guacamole works too!
4. Best part- put the other half away for lunch or dinner tomorrow night!

I forgot to take a picture, but it looked delicious and tasted it too!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment