Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Creamy Mushroom & Brussels Sprout Pasta

For my first dish for this grocery list, I really wanted to find a good use for my brussels sprouts other than roasting them (which is one of my favorite veggie sides). I used what I had in my fridge to make a creamy, but still healthy sauce with mushrooms and the brussels. Sour cream, shredded mozzarella and parmesan combine for the a light and gooey sauce over nutty whole wheat penne.


Creamy Mushroom & Brussels Sprout Pasta
Serves 1.

- 1/2 cup whole wheat penne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup halved brussels sprouts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/8 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/8 cup shredded parmesan 

1. Cook pasta according to pasta.
2. In a saucepan, sauté mushrooms and brussels sprouts for 7 minutes. Add garlic, and cook veggies another minute more. Add chicken broth and sour cream to veggies and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. 
3. Drain pasta. In a bowl, toss pasta, veggies, and add both cheeses. Taste for seasoning.

Another simple, filling meal that is so cheap. The creamy sauce hides how healthy it actually is!

No comments:

Post a Comment