Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Penniless Pasta Primavera

This pasta dish is so delicious and creamy, and so easy to make. It is the perfect pasta dish for summertime because it is lightly sauced and full of fresh veggies. My mom sent me a link to a Food Network pasta primavera recipe, and it sounded so good but I didn't have all of the ingredients. I tweaked the recipe using what I already had in the fridge, and the end result does not disappoint!

When I cook, I often do not measure my ingredients because I like to flavor my food to taste. If you find you want more of one ingredient and less of another- feel free to make it your own way!


Serves 2.
Cook time- about 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
-1.5 cups dry whole wheat rotini pasta  *you can use whatever short pasta you like
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 zucchini (diced into chunks)
-1/2 yellow squash (diced into chunks)
-1/4 red onion, diced
-1 tomato, diced
-1/2 cup frozen peas
-2/3 cup chicken broth
-2 oz crumbled goat cheese
-1/2 cup shredded parmesan
-A couple of leaves fresh basil, chopped  *I grow a fresh basil plant on my porch, so I use basil in a lot of my recipes. 
-Pinch of red pepper flakes

1. Cook pasta according to package. Salt water just before adding pasta.

2. Add olive oil to saucepan on medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, onion, tomato, pinch of salt and pepper to the oil and sauté for about 4-5 minutes until the veggies soften. Add chicken broth, frozen peas (they can still be frozen), and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until all veggies are soft and peas are warmed through.

3. In a big bowl, put the goat cheese in the bottom. Before draining the pasta, ladle one scoop of the pasta water into the bowl. Add the pasta and mix with the cheese. Mix in the vegetables and chicken broth from the pan. *The pasta water and chicken broth from the veggies will mix with the goat cheese to make the sauce. Add the parmesan, basil, and your desired amount of red pepper flakes and mix all ingredients together.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment