Sunday, August 21, 2011

How to Pinch Pennies at the Grocery Store

If you're anything like me, I could wander aimlessly around a grocery store pulling just about anything off the shelves. These tips keep me on track-and keep a couple more dollars in my wallet.
  • Make a list!!! This is so important. I go in with a plan and recipes in mind. I always have vegetables written down, but I wait to see what fruit is on sale and choose the best deal. I check off the items when I get them in order to prevent the middle-of-cooking-forgot-the-onion feeling. I also star items that I would like to get, but do not need. This way I can see if I have a little extra money to buy them, or if I have to save them for another day and another dollar.
  • Grocery store brands. LOVE grocery store brands. Most of my penniless pantry items are either Harris Teeter brand or Publix. For canned items and sauces, the grocery store brands are just as good as more expensive ones- if not better!
  • Grocery store reward programs. I am a VIC Member at Harris Teeter, which can save me about five to ten dollars each trip. I also shop at Publix where there is no reward program, but great deals and sales for every customer to enjoy. 
  • Check your produce! If I am shopping, planning on getting an avocado, and they are all hard as rocks and bright green- I'm not going to get it. Check your fruit and veggies to make sure it is ready to use, will be ready to use when you need it, or if it is way past its expiration date. Buy wisely! Just because it is on your list doesn't mean you need a rotten red pepper (Shout out to you, Mom!)
  • Stay on the perimeter of the grocery store. This is important for two reasons. The first: the food on the perimeter of the grocery store is generally healthier. The produce, dairy, and meats are on the edge. The second reason: it saves money! Not because the food on the perimeter is necessarily cheaper, but when you mosey in the aisles it is easy to think, "I could have some pretzels" or "That salad dressing looks good." This adds unnecessary spending- stick to your list!

Now the exciting part! My first grocery list and recipes to be posted soon. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment