Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The First Grocery Trip

It's here! I took my last free day of summer before student teaching and spent it by the pool... and at Publix.  I have decided to subtract items that I won't use for my recipes (paper towels, coffee, fruit) from the list to show how much I have spent on ingredients.

Spicy V8 Juice - $2.50
1 Zucchini - $.98
1 Yellow Squash - $.73
1 carton Grape Tomatoes - $2.00
1 Sweet Potato - $.91
1 lb Asparagus - $2.99
5 oz. Baby Spinach - $2.99
Package of Celery - $1.69
Tomatoes on the Vine (6 tomatoes) - $4.81
Lemons (2) - $1.33
Bag of Salad Peppers - $3.99 *this is a surprisingly great deal at Publix, about 6 small green and red peppers in a bag
1 Red Onion - $1.03
1 16 oz Bag Frozen Corn - $1.39
6 count White Eggs - $.80
1 Garlic - $.46
1 English Seedless Cucumber - $2.00
1 4 oz. container Crumbled Goat Cheese - $2.89 *another great deal at Publix, gourmet crumbled cheeses for very cheap! They also have feta, blue, gorgonzola.

My total for the above list: $38 even!
I will note if any removed items not intended for dinner recipes end up- and adjust the price.

So here is my challenge- take this $38 shopping tip and create healthy, delicious, and filling recipes. First one will come later tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment