Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Penniless Kitchen: What you need for penniless cooking

In order to begin cooking, it is important to stock the perfect penniless kitchen. With a handful of essential kitchen tools, go-to seasonings and spices, and staples for the fridge and pantry, any meal is possible (and cheap!) I have compiled a list of what I use and rely on the most when cooking. Building a perfect penniless kitchen does require a little money spending- but these purchases will last and be used time and time again (and all the time with my recipes!)

The Pantry:
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I literally cannot cook without it. Not to mention a healthier option than butter!
  • Vinegar. I currently have red and white wine vinegar, only because they were Buy One Get One Free at Publix. I feel that rice wine and apple cider vinegars have more flavor, but because of this they do not lend themselves to more meals like red and white wine vinegars. The choice is yours!
  • Canned beans. I always have at least two different types of beans (Chick peas and black beans are always on hand). I also like to have any type of white bean, kidney beans, and pintos to throw into a pasta dish or soup. 
  • Canned Tomatoes. Diced, crushed, whole- whatever you prefer!
  • Tomato Paste.
  • Tomato Sauce. Any flavor and brand you like. 
  • Bread crumbs. I prefer whole wheat.
  • Pasta. (Obviously!) Have one long, one short. I like spaghetti or linguini for long, penne and rotini for short. I prefer whole wheat. I also always have a box of orzo.
  • Rice. I have a big container of brown basmati rice, which is perfect for my stir frys. I also love Mahatma Yellow Rice. So delicious, shorter cook time, and $1 for a bag (a penniless dream!)
  • Quinoa. A recent addiction.
  • Couscous. 
  • Nuts. A bag of raw almonds is perfect. Walnuts are also another good nut to cook with. (I have to admit- these bags may be snacked on more-so than cooked with!)
Spices:
  • Salt (Kosher or Sea Salt)
  • Black Pepper
  • Red Pepper Flakes (I sprinkle it in everything!)
  • Cumin
  • Coriander
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Curry Powder (I happen to love curry, I know a lot of people don't)
  • Garlic Powder
The Fridge:
  • Hot Sauce. And by hot sauce- I mean Srichacha. My food cannot have enough spice, and a couple drops of srichacha does the trick.
  • Soy Sauce. Perfect to make sauces with and to flavor steamed veggies. 
  • Mustard. Pick your favorite! I prefer dijon and spicy mustards. 
  • Chicken Broth. I find myself adding chicken broth to help sauté veggies, flavor quinoa, not to mention making a big pot of soup (such an easy way to make a cheap, healthy meal). I use low sodium. 
  • Milk. I prefer nonfat. 
  • Eggs. Whatever kind you like. Many people believe brown eggs are healthier, however there is no nutritional difference. There is a price difference- so I stick with white eggs.
  • Parmesan Cheese. Ideally, to have a block of parmesan is the best because it lasts for so long and is the freshest. However, that is not a expense I can always make. I like fancy shredded parmesan- it still has a good salty bite and isn't as expensive as a block (and is way better than the Kraft green container).
The Freezer
  • Chicken breasts. I buy a pack, put them in individual baggies, and freeze until I need them! 
  • Chicken sausages. See above note. I prefer chicken sausages because they are fully cooked, so defrosting and heating them up are so easy and quick.
  • Shrimp. A bag of frozen shrimp is the best splurge to make. A bag of shrimp can last me a couple months.
  • Fish. Any fish you like! When I went to Publix, I wanted a bag of frozen salmon filets, but the frozen tilapia filets were a much better deal (more fish & cheaper). It was fine, because I do love tilapia as well- fish tacos anyone?
  • Frozen peas. Not only so easy and delicious to add to meals- but nice to have on hand for unexpected injuries (or for the morning after one too many).
Nice to Have On Hand:
  • Lemons, limes. Instant fresh flavor- easy dressings!
  • Garlic. I use garlic in about everything I make. 
  • Worchestire Sauce. I don't use it very often, but it is key for some of my favorites (Gazpacho... and bloody marys!)
Cookware:
  • A big stock pot (for soups and boiling water). 
  • A saucepan.
  • A frying pan. 
  • A smaller pot- for cooking small servings of quinoa, rice and heating up beans. (Not to mention the can of soup on a lazy weeknight). 
  • Mixing bowls. My recent obsession are glass nesting mixing bowls. A couple of plastic ones do the job just as well. 
  • A colander. 
  • One good chef knife, one good paring knife.
  • A can opener. I use a little hand held one.
  • Whisk.
  • Spatula(s).
  • Wood Spoon(s). Plastic works just as well.
  • Cutting boards. More than one is needed for the nights you need to cut meat so you don't contaminate your veggies.
  • Food Processor. *I know these are NOT cheap, but I have a tiny little one that is wonderful. A blender can also do the job just fine. 
Once the pantry is stocked, the fridge is loaded, and the tools are on hand- we can get cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment